The University of Mary offers programs in various professions leading to a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Arts in Nursing, a Bachelor of Science, a Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy, or a Bachelor of University Studies degree. To meet graduation requirements for one of the above bachelor’s degrees, a student will complete the following:
- A minimum of 124 semester credits of which at least 44 semester credits are on the 300-400 level with a minimum cumulative grade point average of C (2.0) or the minimum grade point average as required by a major
- At least 62 semester credits in a four-year college of which 32 semester credits must be at the University of Mary, 12 of these in the student’s major area, and six of these in the student’s minor area.
- A minimum of 52 semester credits in liberal arts and sciences (for all degrees except the B.A.S.), including:
- Declaration of a major. Students indicate an area of study or a major during the first semester of the freshman year to guide course selection and the career exploration process. During spring semester of the sophomore year, the students apply to the academic department for which the area of study is offered. Students pursuing the Bachelor of University Studies (B.U.S.) degree do not declare a major.
- Participation in student academic achievement assessment (HUM 499 ). The University engages students in the assessment process to evaluate and improve teaching and learning. To accomplish this, student participation in tests and learning assessments is expected.
By utilizing summer sessions, students in some majors may complete major and liberal arts requirements in three years or less. Students interested in this option should consult their advisor.
Students who wish to complete two baccalaureate degrees must complete 160 semester credits, among other requirements. For more information, consult the Registrar.
Liberal Arts Core
The following courses are required:
- CIS 101 - Introduction to Computer Information Systems 3 Semester Credit(s)
- Equivalent performance in the designated placement exam.
- COM 110 - Oral Communication 3 Semester Credit(s)
- ENG 121 - Composition II 3 Semester Credit(s)
Please note: because students enter the University of Mary with a broad range of skills and experience in English composition, many students need to take one or more additional composition courses before they are ready to enter ENG 121. See English composition course placement requirements here .
- PHI 108 - Search for Truth 3 Semester Credit(s)
- POL 101 - Responsible Citizenship 3 Semester Credit(s)
- Math Requirement
All students must complete at least one college-level mathematics course. Any course numbered MAT 103 or higher will satisfy this requirement. Your major program may require a specific mathemathics course, so defer to your major requirements when selecting a math course.
Please note: because students enter the University of Mary with a broad range of skills and experience in mathematics, many students need to take one or more additional, preparatory mathematics courses before they are ready to enter MAT 103 or higher. See mathematics course placement requirements here .
- HUM 499 - Senior Competency Testing 0 Semester Credit(s)
New Student Seminar
All new UMary students must complete the new student seminar. Adult students taking classes at a distance location or fully online are exempt from this requirement.
An Ethics Course: 3 Semester Credits
An Art Course: 3 Semester Credits
Students may apply either Concert Band or Concert Choir to the Art requirement. However, because these are 1 credit courses, the selected performance ensemble will need to be repeated three (3) times to fulfill the three (3) credit requirement associated with the Art requirement.
One Additional Global Stewardship Course from the Following Options: (3 Semester Credits)
A 100/200 Level Lab Science Course: 4 Semester Credits
The Following Two Theology Courses: 6 Semester Credits
Additional semester credits of approved liberal arts courses to reach the minimum total of 52 credits from Philosophy/Theology, Math/Science, Humanities, or Social and Behavioral Science
- Humanities (Prefix of ENG, COM , CTH, MUS, or SPA)
- Mathematics/ Natural Sciences (Prefix of BIO, CHE, MAT, PHY, or SCI)
- Philosophy/ Theology (Prefix of PHI or THE)
- Social & Behavioral Sciences (Prefix of ECN, GEO, HIS, POL, PSY, HSS, SOC, SWK)
Senior Capstone Course within the major that integrates the University of Mary core curriculum and the professional program/discipline. (1.0 or more semester credits)
Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Arts in Nursing Degrees
In addition to meeting graduation requirements for a bachelor’s degree, a candidate for a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Arts in Nursing degree will have either proficiency in a second language through the completion of 12 semester credits (or its equivalent) or 15 semester credits of Philosophy-Theology with 3 semester credits at the 300-400 level.
Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Science in Nursing, or Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy Degrees
A candidate for a Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Science in Nursing, or Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy degree completes semester credits required for a declared major in addition to graduation requirements for a bachelor’s degree.
Bachelor of University Studies Degree
This degree is designed to fulfill the career needs of three groups: (1) those who have an interest in specific job requirements which do not fit any major offered at the University; (2) those who desire a degree for personal enrichment; (3) those who need a degree for job advancement where a specific major is not required. A student pursuing the University Studies degree must meet the general bachelor’s degree requirements though the completion of a major is not required. This degree program is advised within the School of Arts and Sciences. With the assistance of a faculty advisor, the candidate for a Bachelor of University Studies degree develops an individualized degree plan.