Jul 12, 2024  
2019 - 2020 Catalog 
2019 - 2020 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Aid

Financial Aid is available to eligible students. It is the goal of the University of Mary to provide adequate financial aid to all students who apply. The primary responsibility for funding a college education rests with the student and family. Assistance offered by the college, the government, and other sources is viewed as supplemental to the efforts of the student and family.

Questions on the financial aid application process can be directed to the Financial Aid Office at finaid@umary.edu or (701) 355-8142.

Am I Eligible to Receive Federal Financial Aid?

Students applying for federal financial aid must:

  1. Be a U.S. Citizen or an eligible non-citizen.
  2. Have a valid Social Security Number.
  3. Have a high school diploma or its equivalent.
  4. Be accepted and enrolled in an eligible degree-granting program.
  5. Maintain satisfactory academic progress.
  6. Not owe a refund on a federal grant or be in default on a federal student loan.
  7. If male, register (or already be registered) with the Selective Service System.
  8. Not have a conviction for the possession or sale of illegal drugs that occurred while receiving federal financial aid.

How to Apply?

In order to determine eligibility for most types of financial aid, a student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). FAFSA applications must be completed annually online at www.fafsa.gov. Both the student and, if dependent, the parent will need a FSA ID, which can be applied for at https://fsaid.ed.gov.

When completing the FAFSA, applicants must list the University of Mary as a college they plan to attend. University of Mary’s school code is 002992. To be considered for the maximum financial aid, students are encouraged to complete a FAFSA application annually after October 1.

Prior to receiving an award offer and financial aid, students must be accepted and enrolled in an eligible degree-granting program from the University of Mary.

How Is Eligibility Determined?

Financial Aid eligibility is determined based on financial need. Financial need is determined by a federal formula using the results of a student’s FAFSA application. Items such as income and assets, the number of dependents in the household, the number of family members currently enrolled in college, and the cost of the educational program, as well as other factors, are used to determine a student’s eligibility for financial aid.

Need is the difference between a student’s cost of attendance and their estimated family contribution as determined based on the results of their annual FAFSA application. A student’s cost of attendance will include not only direct costs, such as tuition and fees and room and board, but also indirect costs such as books and supplies, transportation, and miscellaneous educational expenses. The Financial Aid Office will build a realistic cost of attendance, or budget, per eligible program of study to reflect a student’s total cost of attending the University of Mary.

Enrollment Status

Undergraduate Students*

Full-time 12 or more credits
Three-quarter time 9-11 credits
Half-time 6-8 credits
Less than half-time 5 or fewer credits




*Undergraduate students must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits) to be considered eligible for federal loans.

Graduate Students*

Full-time 9 or more credits
Three-quarter time 7-8 credits
Half-time 5-6 credits
Less than half-time 4 or fewer credits

*Graduate students must be enrolled at least half-time (5 credits) to be considered eligible for federal financial loans.

Financial Aid Disbursements and Refunds

All of the financial aid students accept, federal and non-federal, grants and loans, will be directly credited to a student’s account. The financial aid disbursement date is the day funds are applied to a student’s account. Depending on program of study, financial aid will be disbursed either once per semester or over the course of the semester. Students can view semester disbursement dates online through the financial aid portal at finaid.umary.edu/student.

Financial aid refunds (excess aid) will not be made available to students until the last day to add/drop courses each semester, as noted on the University of Mary Academic Calendar, and after all semester charges are paid in full. Refunds are issued in the form of a check mailed by the Student Accounts Office. Students are able to view their student account anytime online through the student portal located at my.umary.edu.

Financial Aid Sources

Please contact the Financial Aid Office for information on any of the following programs. Students should apply for as many aid options as possible.

Grant Programs

Federal Pell Grant: A Federal Pell grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. The amount depends on financial need, costs to attend school, status as a full-time or part-time student, and plans to attend school for a full academic year or less.

SEOG Grant: SEOG grant funding, like the Pell Grant, does not have to be repaid. Funding depends on need and availability of funds at the school. Pell Grant recipients receive priority consideration for SEOG funding.

Teach Grant: The TEACH Grant Program provides grants up to $4,000 a year to students who agree to teach for four years at an elementary school, secondary school, or educational service agency that serves students from low-income families. Specific requirements and application steps apply. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for additional eligibility information.


Federal Work Study (FWS): The Federal Work Study program provides funds earned through part-time employment either on or off-campus. FWS funding depends on student’s eligibility and availability of funds at the school, so early completion of the FASFA is important.

Loan Programs

The University of Mary participates in all major federal student loan programs. To receive a federal loan, students will need to complete both a loan agreement (MPN) and entrance counseling online at www.studentloans.gov. Additional requirements may be needed dependent on the loan program. Students should visit with the Financial Aid Office for loan program specifics.

Federal Nursing Student Loan (NSL): The Federal Nursing Student Loan (NSL) is a federal loan available to undergraduate Nursing students who demonstrate need. Interest is fixed at five percent (5%). No interest is charged while a student is enrolled at least half-time in school. Full payments of principal and interest begin nine months after a student graduates, withdraws, or drops below half-time enrollment.

Subsidized Loan: This loan is for students who demonstrate financial need, as determined by federal regulations. No interest is charged while a student is in school at least half-time, during grace period, and during deferment periods. Full payments of principal and interest begin six months after a student graduates, withdraws, or drops below half-time enrollment.

Unsubsidized Loan: This loan is not based on financial need. Interest begins accruing from the time of disbursement. Interest payments are billed quarterly while a student is in school. Full payments of principal and interest begin six months after a student graduates, withdraws, or drops below half-time enrollment.

University of Mary Scholarships

Most University of Mary scholarships are awarded for fall and spring semesters. Student enrolled as full-time Year Round Campus (YRC) students or in undergraduate or graduate non-traditional programs may be eligible to receive scholarship awards for consecutive enrollment (fall, spring, and summer) dependent on scholarship criteria. Most institutional scholarships are renewable up to a maximum of 8 semesters.

Merit Based Scholarships: Students prior academic performance in high school or college is rewarded through either the Blessed John Henry Newman or Sr. Thomas Welder academic scholarships. Scholarship awards are either made for the fall and spring semesters for traditional undergraduate students or up to eight consecutive semesters for Year Round Campus (YRC). Students must maintain full-time enrollment to qualify.

ELA Seasonal Scholarship Competition: Qualifying incoming freshmen can compete in seasonal scholarship competitions to earn scholarship exceeding their merit based scholarship amounts. Selection criteria vary by event, but can include a portfolio presentation, professor interview, and written essay. Competition scholarship awards are the Trustee’s Scholarship, Founder’s Scholarship, and the Dean’s Scholarship.

Activity Scholarship: Scholarships are available for participation in designated campus activities. Activity scholarships are awarded on an annual basis to full-time traditional undergraduate students. Specific scholarship information can be obtained from the sponsoring campus organization or the Financial Aid Office.

Catholic Scholars: The Catholic Scholars award is given to qualifying incoming, first-time freshman based on specified criteria. This scholarship is valued based on actual campus room and board costs. Award caps exist.

State Programs

North Dakota State Grant: The North Dakota State Grant provides need-based grants for North Dakota first-time undergraduate college students. Student’s FAFSA application serves as their application for the North Dakota State Grant. FAFSA applications should be submitted as soon as student is able for priority consideration.

North Dakota Indian Scholarship: Based on scholastic ability and financial need, the North Dakota Indian Scholarship assists American Indian students in obtaining a college education. Application can be made through the North Dakota University System (www.ndus.edu). Annual priority application deadline is July 15.

North Dakota Scholars Program: High school juniors who score in the upper ninety-fifth percentile of all state test takers will be considered as candidates for the Scholars award. To be considered, students must complete the ACT assessment between October 1 and July 1 of their junior year of high school. No additional application is required.

North Dakota Academic Scholarship and North Dakota Career & Technical Education Scholarship: These merit scholarship opportunities are available for North Dakota high school seniors. To apply students must complete either the ACT or WorkKeys assessments on or before February 12 and complete the application form found on the North Dakota Department of Public Instructions website, https://www.nd.gov/dpi/SchoolStaff/SAO/grantscholar/.

Other Payment Options

Parent PLUS Loan: This loan is for parents of dependent undergraduate students. Students must be enrolled half-time. Parent borrowers enter repayment 60 days after final loan disbursement.  Parent borrowers are required to sign a PLUS loan master promissory note (MPN) agreeing to the terms of the loan. Interest rate information can found online at www.studentaid.gov/interest.

Graduate PLUS Loan: This non-need based federal student loan is available to graduate students enrolled at least part-time. Graduate students who haven’t previously received a PLUS loan are required to complete a PLUS Loan master promissory note (MPN) and loan entrance counseling. Interest rate information can be found online at www.studentaid.gov/interest.

Alternative Loan: Alternative education loans are private student loans that help supplement federal financing. These are private loans that students must apply for and qualify for based on lender requirements. Federal funding sources should be pursued first.

Payment Plan: The University of Mary offers a convenient payment plan offered through Nelnet Business Solutions. A small enrolment fee is required to enroll in this no-interest plan. More information can be obtained from the Student Accounts Office.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy for Financial Aid

A complete copy of the University of Mary Financial Aid Satisfactory Progress Policy can be requested from the Financial Aid Office or accessed online at www.umary.edu/financial-aid.

Federal regulations require institutions participating in Title IV student financial aid programs to have in place a satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standard which contains both a qualitative and quantitative measure, defines the maximum timeframe for degree completion which cannot exceed 150% of the credits required for graduation, and which is at least as stringent as the criteria used to measure satisfactory progress for students who are not receiving federal aid. The academic record of all students, regardless of receipt of financial aid, will be monitored to ensure compliance with financial aid satisfactory academic progress standards.

In accordance with federal regulation, the University of Mary has established the following policy regarding satisfactory academic progress:

Quantitative Standard

  • 1st year undergraduate students (0-29 credits earned) must maintain a 1.8 cumulative GPA.
  • 2nd year undergraduate students  and beyond (30+ credits earned) must maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA.
  • Graduate students must maintain a cumulative 3.0 GPA.

Qualitative Standard

  • Undergraduate and graduate students must successfully compete at least 67% of all attempted credits.
  • The grades W, WP, WF, F, and I are considered attempted and will be considered as unsuccessful completion.
  • Transfer credits will be factored into completion ratio as both attempted and completed.

Maximum Time Frame

  • Undergraduate students must obtain a first bachelor’s degree within 150% of the published number of credits required to complete their program of study. Generally, 186 credits is the standard for most University of Mary undergraduate degrees.
  • The maximum timeframe for graduate students is 150% of the credits required to complete their program of study.

SAP is reviewed at the end of each semester (fall, spring, and summer). Students who fail to maintain SAP will be placed on financial aid warning for the next semester of enrollment. While on warning, students may receive financial aid; however, they must bring performance up to an acceptable SAP standard in the next term of enrollment or they will be suspended from financial aid until eligibility has been reestablished.

Right to Appeal

Students have the right to appeal their financial aid suspension. Appeals must be in writing and must accompany the SAP appeal form. Appeal forms can be obtained from the Financial Aid Office. Appeals should be submitted within 30 days of the student’s notification letter for consideration. Late appeals will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Generally, appeals will be granted for extraordinary circumstances beyond the student’s ability to control, such as illness or death of an immediate family member or personal injury or illness.

As a minimum, a student’s SAP appeal must include the following:

  • A signed SAP appeal form.
  • A detailed statement, plus documentation as appropriate, explaining the circumstances that have led to failure to meet the established SAP standards.
  • A statement as to how the student will improve and maintain SAP standards.

Students appealing a suspension due to maximum time frame should provide a detailed letter explaining the reason for failing to graduate in the allotted time, and a planner signed by both the student and academic advisor showing the courses remaining and the semesters in which the courses will be completed to reach graduation.

Students who successfully appeal their Financial Aid Suspension are placed on Financial Aid Probation for one semester if it is realistic to assume the student could return to good standing in that timeframe. At the end of the probation semester, students must be meeting SAP, or they will be suspended from receiving Financial Aid. Students who successfully appeal suspension but are not realistically able to return to good standing in one semester are placed on a specific academic plan which is monitored each semester and will allow them to return to good standing prior to completion of their program. Those students approved for a maximum time frame extension will be monitored for course completion as outlined by the appeal and planner.

If it is apparent a student will not be ale to meet the qualitative or quantitative requirements prior to reaching the maximum hours allowed for the degree enrolled, the student will immediately be placed on Financial Aid Suspension, and no further Federal Aid will be authorized.

Students may request an appeal once for any given circumstance. All financial aid appeal decisions are final and cannot be appealed.

Students who are suspended may regain eligibility for financial aid by reestablishing their GPA and completion ratio using their own resources.

SAP Definitions for Financial Aid

What does WARNING mean?

Students are placed on warning if they fail to meet one or more of the minimum SAP standards. While on warning, students may continue to receive financial aid, but must meet all SAP minimum standards at the end of the term of enrollment to maintain future financial aid eligibility.

No appeal is required. However, students are strongly encouraged to meet with their advisor and utilize all institutional services including but not limited to counseling, tutoring, writing lab, and accessibility to ensure they will meet all minimum SAP standards at the end of the financial aid warning term. Failure to meet all minimum SAP standards will result in financial aid suspension.

What does SUSPENSION mean?

Students placed on suspension have failed to meet minimum SAP standards two semesters in a row and are no longer eligible to receive federal, state, or institutional financial aid. All institutional charges incurred while on suspension will be the personal responsibility of the student to pay.

Suspension will remain in place until the student has completed additional coursework to bring their academic record in compliance with all SAP standards or until their SAP appeal has been approved.

What does PROBATION mean?

Students who have successfully appealed their financial aid suspension, will be placed on probation for one semester. Students are eligible to receive financial aid probation. If the student fails to meet all financial aid SAP standards at the end of their probation term, they will be placed on financial aid suspension.

What does ACADEMIC PLAN mean?

Students will be placed on academic plan should it not be possible for them to meet SAP within one semester and/or the student has exceeded the maximum credit limit for their program of study. Students placed on academic plan will be expected to follow the conditions of their academic plan each semester to continue financial aid eligibility. Failure to follow the conditions of a student’s academic plan will result in the student being placed on suspension.

Changes in Enrollment

Adding or dropping courses at any point in the semester may or may not affect a student’s financial aid and institutional charges. Students should contact either the Financial Aid Office at finaid@umary.edu or the Student Accounts Office at staccts@umary.edu to determine if a change in enrollment will affect them.

Withdrawals and Return of Title IV Funds

If a student withdraws or is expelled from the University of Mary prior to the end of the semester, a federal return calculation known as Return of Title IV funds must be completed. The amount of financial aid earned is calculated based on the number of days completed in the semester on a prorated basis. The percentage is then applied to the financial aid received to determine how much aid a student has earned. If a student has received more aid than he or she earned, the financial aid funds will be returned to the appropriate issuing agency. If a student has earned more aid than what was disbursed, a possible post-withdrawal disbursement of financial aid can be made to help cover tuition, fees, and other charges. Return of Title IV financial aid are done in the manner prescribed by law.

The institutional Return to Tile IV policy, which prorates eligibility based on attendance, applies to all financial aid programs, federal, state, and institutional. Adjustments to a student’s institutional charges for tuition, fees, room and board for a student who withdraws or is expelled is outlined in the Tuition and Fees  section of the catalog.

A student who has received financial aid, who withdraws or is expelled may be required to repay some or all the financial aid award funds received. Any institutional charges resulting from the university will be the responsibility of the student to pay in full.

A complete copy of the University of Mary Financial Aid Withdrawal and Return of Title IV Funds Policy can be requested from the Financial Aid Office or accessed online at www.umary.edu/financial-aid.