Music Department Chair & Program Advisor: Dr. Tom Porter
Degree Type: Bachelor of Music
The Bachelor of Science in Music with an Emphasis in Sacred Music degree prepares students with a liberal arts degree in music and a minor in Liturgy. Students in this major may serve as church musicians, continue in graduate studies in music or theology, or complement another undergraduate degree with a double major.
The Music Department endeavors to develop a community of learners where a challenging curriculum is integrated with practical experience and professional training so that graduates are prepared to excel in their chosen specializations.
Graduates of this department:
- perform instrumentally and/or vocally with artistic competence and assess their own performance for purposes of continued development
- conduct musical groups with attention to artistic concerns
- know the field of music study; use its technical vocabulary and common approaches; describe current issues and significant artistic works
- work effectively with others and demonstrate respect for them
- articulate the values of this Benedictine institution and reflect on them in their work
- contribute to their civic, cultural, and professional communities
The University of Mary Music Program is accredited as an Associate Member of the National Association of Schools of Music.