Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Science in Nursing, or Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy Degrees
A candidate for a Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Science in Nursing, or Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy degree completes semester credits required for an applicable major in addition to general graduation requirements for a Bachelor of Science degree.
General Bachelor’s Degree Requirements
The University of Mary offers programs in various professions leading to a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Arts in Nursing, a Bachelor of Science, a Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy, or a Bachelor of University Studies degree. To meet graduation requirements for one of the above bachelor’s degrees, a student will complete the following:
- A minimum of 124 semester credits of which at least 44 semester credits are on the 300-400 level with a minimum cumulative grade point average of C (2.0) or the minimum grade point average as required by a major
- At least 62 semester credits in a four-year college of which 32 semester credits must be at the University of Mary, 12 of these in the student’s major area, and six of these in the student’s minor area.
- A minimum amount of semester credits in liberal arts and sciences:
- 52 semester credits for the B.S., B.S.N., B.S.R.T., and B.U.S.
- 59 semester credits for the B.A. and B.A.N.
- 30 semester credits for the B.A.S.
- Declaration of a major. Students indicate an area of study or a major during the first semester of the freshman year to guide course selection and the career exploration process. During spring semester of the sophomore year, the students apply to the academic department for which the area of study is offered. Students pursuing the Bachelor of University Studies (B.U.S.) degree do not declare a major.
- Participation in student academic achievement assessment (HUM 499 ). The University engages students in the assessment process to evaluate and improve teaching and learning. To accomplish this, student participation in tests and learning assessments is expected.
By utilizing summer sessions, students in some majors may complete degree requirements in three years or less. Students interested in this option should consult their advisor.
Students who wish to complete two baccalaureate degrees must complete 160 semester credits, the liberal arts core for each degree, and distinct majors for each degree which comply with the Double Counting of Credits policy (policy available under Academic Life: Undergraduate ).
Liberal Arts Core
The following courses are required:
- CIS 101 - Introduction to Computer Information 3 Semester Credit(s)
- COM 110 - Oral Communication 3 Semester Credit(s)
- ENG 121 - Composition II 3 Semester Credit(s)
Please note: because students enter the University of Mary with a broad range of skills and experience in English composition, many students need to take one or more additional composition courses before they are ready to enter ENG 121. See English composition course placement requirements here .
- PHI 108 - Search for Truth 3 Semester Credit(s)
- POL 101 - Responsible Citizenship 3 Semester Credit(s)
- Math Requirement
All students must complete at least one college-level mathematics course. Any course numbered MAT 103 or higher will satisfy this requirement. Your major program may require a specific mathemathics course, so defer to your major requirements when selecting a math course.
Please note: because students enter the University of Mary with a broad range of skills and experience in mathematics, many students need to take one or more additional, preparatory mathematics courses before they are ready to enter MAT 103 or higher. See mathematics course placement requirements here .
- HUM 499 - Senior Competency Testing 0 Semester Credit(s)
New Student Seminar
All new UMary students must complete the new student seminar. Adult students taking classes at a distance location or fully online are exempt from this requirement.
An Ethics Course: 3 Semester Credits
An Art Course: 3 Semester Credits
Students may apply either Concert Band or Concert Choir to the Art requirement. However, because these are 1 credit courses, the selected performance ensemble will need to be repeated three (3) times to fulfill the three (3) credit requirement associated with the Art requirement.
One Additional Global Stewardship Course from the Following Options: (3 Semester Credits)
A 100/200 Level Lab Science Course: 4 Semester Credits
The Following Two Theology Courses: 6 Semester Credits
Additional semester credits of approved liberal arts courses to reach the minimum total of 52 credits from the Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Humanities (Prefix of CLA, ENG, COM, CTH, FRE, GER, GRK, ITA, LAT, MUS, SPA)
- Mathematics/Natural Sciences (Prefix of BIO, CHE, GLG, MAT, PHY, SCI)
- Philosophy/Theology (Prefix of PHI or THE)
- Social & Behavioral Sciences (Prefix of ECN, GEO, HIS, HSS, POL, PSY, SBS, SOC)
Senior Capstone Course within the major that integrates the University of Mary core curriculum and the professional program/discipline. (1.0 or more semester credits)
Because students enter the University of Mary with a broad range of skills and experience in mathematics, English composition, and the laboratory sciences, many students need to take one or more additional, preparatory courses before they are ready to enter the specific math, English, or lab science course required of their program of study.
Review the course placement requirements below: