2020 - 2021 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Financial Services and Banking Major
Program Director: Todd Van Orman
Degree Types: Bachelor of Science (default), Bachelor of Applied Science (alternative), or Bachelor of Arts (alternative)
Financial Services and Banking majors graduating from the University of Mary’s Gary Tharaldson School of Business will be enriched through a curriculum of discovery, development and application to ensure a sound knowledge of the key professional components of business. Students also gain an understanding of how to incorporate servant leadership into their everyday lives as business professionals. In addition to the core competencies of the University, graduates of the banking and financial services program will be able to:
- Demonstrate an ability to process information to reach a logical conclusion.
- Demonstrate professional business communication.
- Identify major concepts within the core areas of business.
- Apply decision support tools to business decision making.
- Apply ethical decision making utilizing the Benedictine values and professional standards.
- Recognize the global nature of the contemporary business environment.
- Develop integrated financial plans to meet the needs of individuals or families.
- Evaluate investment opportunities.
- Explore the legal and regulatory environments of the financial industry.
- Apply strategic planning skills to effect change initiative in a business scenario.
There are additional academic policies which apply to all undergraduate majors within the Gary Tharaldson School of Business. Please review those policies on the GTSB Undergraduate Programs page.
The University of Mary Investment Club (UMIC) actively manages a stock portfolio with the mentorship of local representatives of major investment firms. Students may receive up to 4 total semester credits for active participation in UMIC activities such as portfolio management, speakers, and competitions. Please refer to Finance course descriptions.