The Bachelor of Applied Science (B.A.S.) is a degree offering intended to serve those transfer students whose previous college experience was in a technical or vocational program, especially those students who may have achieved an Associate of Applied Science degree and are now looking to complete a Bachelor’s degree. Because most technical/vocational credits do not apply towards progress for a Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Arts, or Bachelor of University Studies degree, students with technical education backgrounds often find themselves facing an extremely long program of study once they decide they want to continue their education. The Bachelor of Applied Science is intended to help these students achieve a bachelor-level education in a shorter time frame, by allowing them to apply their previously earned technical education credits toward the B.A.S. degree. Students should be aware that while the B.A.S. is a bachelor’s degree, not all graduate or professional programs accept a B.A.S. as meeting their admissions requirements. Therefore, students who are planning to continue on to graduate or professional school should instead pursue a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts .
Program of Study/Core & Degree Requirements:
To meet graduation requirements for the Bachelor of Applied Science, a student will complete the following:
- A minimum of 120 semester credits, of which at least 44 credits are on the 300-400 level, with a minimum cumulative grade point average of C (2.0) or the minimum grade point average as required by the major.
- At least 60 semester credits in a 4-year college, of which 30 semester credits must be at the University of Mary, 12 of these in the student’s major area, and six of these in the student’s minor area (if applicable).
- A minimum of 30 semester credits in the liberal arts and sciences.
The following majors are available for completion within the BAS degree: Business Administration Major , Business Management Major , Computer Information Systems Major , Financial Services and Banking Major , Healthcare Administration Major , and Information Technology Management Major . Specific major requirements can be found in the Gary Tharaldson School of Business section of this catalog.
Bachelor of Applied Science Degree
One Science course (with or without a lab): 3-4 Semester Credits
One Theology course (of any level): 3 Semester Credits
Additional semester credits of approved liberal arts courses to reach the minimum total of 30 credits from Philosophy/Theology, Math/Science, Humanities, or Social and Behavioral Sciences.
- Humanities (Prefix of ENG, COM, CTH, MUS, or SPA, CLA, GRK, ITA, FRE, GER, LAT)
- Mathematics/Natural Sciences (Prefix of BIO, CHE, MAT, PHY, SCI)
- Philosophy/Theology (Prefix of PHI or THE)
- Social & Behavioral Sciences (Prefix of ECN, GEO, HIS, HSS, POL, PSY, SBS, SOC)