Music Department Chair: Dr. Tom Porter
Program Advisors: Dennis Gowen, Dr. Russell Ballenger
Degree Type: Bachelor of Science
Major in Music Education
The Music Department strives to develop a true community of learners where a challenging curriculum is integrated with professional training so that graduates are prepared to excel in their chosen specializations.
Graduates of this department:
- perform instrumentally and/or vocally with artistic competence
- conduct musical groups with attention to artistic concerns
- know the field of music study; can use its technical vocabulary and common approaches; can describe current issues and significant artistic works
- assess their own performance for purposes of continued development
- work effectively with others and demonstrate respect for them
- can describe the values of this Benedictine institution and reflect on them in their work
- contribute to their civic, cultural, and professional communities
The University of Mary Music Program is accredited as an Associate Member of the National Association of Schools of Music.